The Master of Public Health (MPH) is a one-year programme with core disciplines in biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, and health policy and leadership, with focus on community-engaged, impact-driven scholarship and professional development.
The programme aims at developing high quality and sustainable training strategies to prepare public health experts and leaders with a comprehensive understanding of public health and the capacity to address the various challenges of public health at the different levels of the health system. This programme is based on an interdisciplinary approach that combines whatever expertise is needed to address health issues that impact communities.
Presbyterian University College, Ghana uses the competency-based approach for its training emphasizing problem-oriented learning and acquisition of competencies for public health practice.
The training programme consists of course work and fieldwork (practicum) covered during field placement at selected district training sites under the supervision of the respective District Directors of Health Services (DDHS), Presbyterian University College, Ghana Faculty, and Officials from Ghana Health Service (GHS), Christian Health Association of Ghana, and Teaching Hospitals.
A candidate seeking admission into a Master’s Degree programme must:
- have obtained a good first degree (at least a Second Class Lower Division) in an appropriate field of study from the Presbyterian University College, Ghana or/and an accredited University; or
- have a Third Class honours or Pass in a first degree with at least three years working experience
- In special cases, an applicant without a first degree but is otherwise adjudged suitable may be admitted into the MPH programme. Such applicant must:
- have a special knowledge and considerable experience in his/her area of interest.
- have at least a G.C.E. ‘O’ Level/SSSCE/WASSCE passes in English Language and Mathematics.
- have a Diploma in the relevant field of study.
- be at least 40 years of age.
The candidate will also be required to:
- submit a transcript of his/her academic record.
- pass a selection interview.
Stream: Regular / Weekend / Sandwich
Campus: Asante Akyem (Agogo)